A roadside bomb in Kabul targeted first Afghan Vice President Amrullah Saleh on Wednesday morning but he escaped unharmed, reported Reuters.
At least 6 people were killed and some 12 others wounded according to initial reports.
The attack comes just ahead of long-awaited peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban in Qatar’s capital Doha.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack but the Taliban were quick to deny their involvement.
“Today, once again the enemy of Afghanistan tried to harm Saleh, but they failed in their evil aim, and Saleh escaped the attack unharmed,” Razwan Murad, a spokesman for Saleh’s office, wrote on Facebook.
He told Reuters the bomb targeted Saleh’s convoy and some of his bodyguards were injured.
Saleh, who is also Afghanistan’s former intelligence chief, said in his first television appearance immediately after the attack that he was fine and had sustained a minor burn on his face and an injury to his hand in the attack. He appeared in the TV footage with bandages on one hand.
The former intelligence chief and the senior of President Ashraf Ghani’s two vice-presidents, has survived several assassination attempts, including one on his office last year that killed 20 people.
The Interior Ministry spokesman Tariq Arian confirmed to The Associated Press that the bombing targeted Saleh’s convoy. The explosion, he said, also ignited a huge fire in the area, a section of Kabul where shops sell gas cylinders for use in heating homes and cooking.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid was quick to deny the group’s involvement in any way, saying that “today’s explosion in Kabul has nothing to do with the Mujahedeen of the Islamic Emirate.”
Additional inputs from The Associated Press